Western Canada's Event Centre... Your Home for Celebration!
To provide exceptional guest experiences through premier facilities and services for agriculture and trade, sports and entertainment, conferences and meetings, generating economic benefits for Central Alberta.
At Westerner Park, we feel strongly that in order to honour the past, we need to have a plan for the future.
That's why we've embarked on a bold and innovative long-term redevelopment project. In May of 2008, our Board of Directors approved a Strategic Development Plan that outlines an exciting new vision, acting as the blueprint for Westerner Park's growth over the next 40 years.
In 2009, we proudly completed Phases 1 and 2 of the Strategic Development Plan, opening several great new facilities and outdoor spaces. And that's just the beginning. Even more beautiful park areas, pedestrian-friendly walkways and corridors, improved parking and traffic access, and clustered 'neighbourhoods' of related spaces and facilities are still to come.
So when it comes to the future of Westerner Park, you could say we've got a lot to celebrate.
Strategic Development Plan Key Features
- Long-range goals. The plan includes goals for the short term (10 years), medium term (20 years), and long term (40 years).
- Flexibility. We will respond to changing demands and priorities over time. The plan also addresses infrastructure needs through multiple stages of development.
- Green focus. New parks areas, environmental sustainability, and cost savings through resource conservation are all part of the plan.
- Community partnerships. Area residents, corporate partners, and governments will all be involved.
- New opportunities. Our plan will create new prospects for Central Alberta citizens and groups.
- Granted $245,000 in 2017 as part of the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program to complete the upgrades to the Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system in the Stockmens Pavilion.
- In 2016 new way-finding signage and upgraded street lights were added. A new suite was added to the Centrium, Suite 125, offering another great way to take in all the Centirum events
- In 2015 major roof maintenance was completed on the Parkland Pavilion, Salons and the Centrium entrance. A new PA system, LED lighting and rink dasher boards were upgraded in the Centrium. Our arena now meets National Hockey League standards and is the leader in efficiency and safety in the Western Hockey League.
- The new, one-of-a-kind outdoor venue, Harvest Gardens (complete mid-July 2014).
- The Centrium expansion which includes 14 more luxury suites and an additional 1,000 seats added to the 6,000 seat facility (2012).
- The new Donald Administration Building (opened July 2009).
- Two new entries to Westerner Park on the north and west sides (2009).
- A new 50-year land lease agreement between The City of Red Deer and Westerner Park, expanding our total lease amount to 320 acres.
- A new slogan – Your Destination for Celebration™ – and a refreshed graphic identity to reflect the facility's vision and direction.
Completed Expansion Projects
The recent Centrium expansion offers 13 more luxury suites, a 40 seat club suite and an additional 1,000 seats added to the 6,000 seat the Centrium facility.
Harvest Gardens will feature a lush garden with screened entrance, privacy fence, pergola and have room for seating for up to 200 people.